Sunday, May 17, 2015

The ice maker quest

I am still brainstorming the house remodle room to room. I have to admit the room I am most obsessed with is the kitchen. I believe because we offer cook at home, and I would like to try and have a more productive space. This is also one of the most expensive rooms to remodel. We are keeping our existing cabinets (painting them bright white), in the last couple of years have already replaced all the appliances. Now it is on to planning. 

I am going to tile the backsplash and walls at 22 cents a tile this should be a labor intensive but cheap diy job. I am doing Groutable vinyl tiles aka Iuxury vinyl flooring. I have a pretty hard time calling a vinyl product luxury but, it is roughly 88 cents a tile and I am cool with that! We defiantly need new countertops not sure if this is a diy job or not to be honest. I found butcher block counters at a discount but, they still seem pretty hard to do so I may have to find a local handyman. A new sink which is pretty easy. 

Here is when the wish list gets expensive.

I really want an ice maker! I know they start at $100 bucks but let me tell you the one I love is 2-3k yikes. Why? Because I eat ice and I want nugget style ice aka Sonic. Now this is not going to happen because we have no budget for luxury ice makers. It is definatly an obsession and to boot a first world problem. I have a built refrigerator ice maker but it is not all that great.

Needless to say after hours and hours of research there are some strong contenders but, none really make me want to splurge. So for now it is safe to say it is just a desire. 

The thing that MUST happen is a septic acceptable garbage disposal it is all of $108 and I have installed one on another house before. This will be quick and easy and I need it. Five years without a working disposal I am done! 

Cabinets added to blank wall. Our kitchen is technically an eat in but is so very small. I believe hubby and I would get much more use out of more cabinets, counter space, and storage for appliances. I downsized many appliances that I owned and never used rocket grill anyone? I now ask myself many questions when purchasing an appliance.

1. Is this a need or a want?
2. Where are you going to store it? 
3. Will you use it daily?

If those three aren't actually applied I do not need to waste money. 

Appliance I have been gifted, given or purchased ready? 

Quesadilla maker 
Three tier steamer
Milkshake maker
Hotdog toaster
Random blenders (I do use them though) 
Food processor (never mastered this skill)
Stand alone mixer (10 years old almost broken use daily need upgrade).
Microwave oven
Rocket grill
Toaster oven
Toaster 
Coffee makers
Esspresso makers
Cappuccino makers
Kirig

You get the picture. 
I only own a toaster (hand me down needs to be replaced); Kurig I love so much, stand alone mixer. So I am sticking to those and I hope to add in some type of ice maker one day!

I have high standards for said ice maker needs to be sonic or nugget, pellet ice. No exceptions! Under $300 if it is mountable unit. I paid $500 for a side by side brand spanking new refrigerator I just can't pay top dollar for an ice maker. Under $150 for portable.

I am looking for pictures of each ice maker and the ice it produces. Once it has been compiled I shall share. Here is the current kitchen eek. 

I am ready to say goodbye

No comments:

Post a Comment